Home » Posts tagged '(DILG)'
Tag Archives: (DILG)
A Single Drop for SafeWater attended a celebration of Governance symposium hosted by the Local Governance Support Program in the ARMM Provinces in partnership with the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) as they honored LGU accomplishments as a result of their programs. Seven municipalities were in attendance and eighteen awards were given to LGUs who transformed in the areas of governance, economic development, gender and WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene). It was announced that over 7000 households, about 35,000 people were impacted by ASDSWs trainings!
ASDSW was key in the LGSPA WASH Program by collaborating in the development of an innovative WASH Program to assist LGUs to assess their own needs and design efficient municipal wide WASH plans by strengthening local NGOs and Government organizations. ASDSW conducted trainings to support MWTFs, WSAs, and local NGOs to conduct WASH Trainings, implement various appropriate technologies. ASDSWs goal was to create Regional PODS which are local organizations which can build the capacity of local communities to implement sustainable water projects.
What they said about WASH:
- the WASH process works by helping LGUs identify their needs and make plans that can actually be sustained
- setting up the mechanisms to support the coordination of Municipal WASH Task Force (MWTF) and Water Sanitation Associations (WSAs) for long term management
- strengthening local NGOs to be implementing organizations working in collaboration with MWTF and WSA
Two municipalities who were the recipients of ASDSW workshops were recognized
- Kabuntalan – This LGU was recognized after they changed from desire to build a level III water system (water piped into homes) to a dugwell protection and sanitation toilet construction project. After attending the WASH Analysis and Planning Workshops and ASDSWs technology trainings, the LGU made a more efficient plan
- Sultan Kudarat – This LGU had initially learned the BioSand Filter and after attending the WASH Analysis Planning and ASDSWs technology trainings, they also began to offer the service of building toilets and have been selling both toilets and BSFs.
- Dimampao – This group was trained to build BioSand Filters by a local PODS that ASD created in Datu Abdullah Sangki. They have since sold 200 filters including 25 to the Governer! They’ve since earned enough money to buy a tric!
- Act for Peace – an NGO were commissioned to conduct WASH Analysis and Planning after being trained by ASDSW in Kadtabanga. After the workshop, Kadtabanga initially wanted to build a Level II water system (water piped to community tapstands) but decided to do dugwell improvement and toilets instead!